Sourcefinder Real data coming soon!

News from the various BOINC projects, sniffed out for you by our lovable wee mutt.
Newshound
BOINC news desk
BOINC news desk

#1 Sourcefinder Real data coming soon!

Post by Newshound »

I've just arrived back from a meeting with Kirsten, and I have some extremely good news to share with everyone!

ASKAP has almost completed observations of its first ~500GB cube, and we're going to be processing it when it's done!

Running a sourcefinding application on ASKAP data hasn't been done yet, so this is going to be a world first.

While we're waiting for ASKAP to be done, we're going to be running the simulated super cube again, this time using a new sourcefinding application called SoFiA.

We're going to be looking at whether SoFiA is any better at finding sources than Duchamp is.

Once we have data from both Duchamp and SoFiA, I'll be working on cross matching the sources they found with the original sources catalogue, then we'll have a clear picture of which is the better sourcefinder.

I'm also told that there's a very high chance of a paper being written on the comparison between Duchamp and SoFiA as sourcefinders, so I'll be sure to keep you all up to date if I hear any more about it.

Finally, there's been a bit of a back end storage issue with some of the data we've processed, and I'll need to re-run a few sets of work units, so expect some more work to be coming fairly soon.

https://sourcefinder.theskynet.org/duch ... php?id=207
TSBT's update on all the news from the BOINC projects.

Return to “Newshound RSS feeds”