2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#51 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

How did we suddenly get so close to OCUK ? Has some projects been dropped from the competition ? They must have lost points as we havn't gained any that I can see. Jondi, what's going on ?
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#52 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

jondi wrote:I wanna borrow some of Bryan's aftershave or whatever it is that's making the credit server love him so much :shock:
I wish I could bottle that stuff :lol: Yafu runs Credit Screw, the random credit generator. Some of my machines are getting high credits and other identical machines aren't. There doesn't seem to be any intelligent reason for it. This may be the 1st time the word "intelligent" and Credit New were used in the same sentence :roll:

BTW, NumberFields is now low hanging fruit you guys need to go pick. I hit my WuProp hours goal on the "bounded" app. They are on the last field for the "bounded" app so if any of your guys need to hit hours goals it MUST be done now. The admin said that that app was going away when the field is completed!
jondi
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#53 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by jondi »

Alez wrote:How did we suddenly get so close to OCUK ? Has some projects been dropped from the competition ? They must have lost points as we havn't gained any that I can see. Jondi, what's going on ?
Climate prediction credits went belly up, into the negative so didn't qualify for FB, we were 1st in that, plus your lot keep nicking out no.1 spots :x

Bryan wrote:
jondi wrote:I wanna borrow some of Bryan's aftershave or whatever it is that's making the credit server love him so much :shock:
I wish I could bottle that stuff :lol: Yafu runs Credit Screw, the random credit generator. Some of my machines are getting high credits and other identical machines aren't. There doesn't seem to be any intelligent reason for it. This may be the 1st time the word "intelligent" and Credit New were used in the same sentence :roll:
Certainly is bizarre.
BTW, NumberFields is now low hanging fruit you guys need to go pick. I hit my WuProp hours goal on the "bounded" app. They are on the last field for the "bounded" app so if any of your guys need to hit hours goals it MUST be done now. The admin said that that app was going away when the field is completed!
Thanks, though I've never ran wuprop.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#54 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

Climate prediction has been a bit flaky in the last year. You will get the credit back I guess. Credit screw is a mess and a complete mystery, no one will ever convince me that it actually works any better that a total random guess at credit generation. We keep nicking your #`1 spots ... well we did set out to keep you and your team honest on this challenge. However you guys are not the ones we are determined will not get past us :shock: you just happen to be in the way :D
jondi
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#55 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by jondi »

Congrats Bryan on you world wide no.1 spot on yafu, nice output also Paul, can't make your machine out, guess it's buried amongst all those X56** machines that you guys are so fond of, are they all SR2s?
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#56 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

jondi wrote:Congrats Bryan on you world wide no.1 spot on yafu, nice output also Paul, can't make your machine out, guess it's buried amongst all those X56** machines that you guys are so fond of, are they all SR2s?
Thank you!
No, mine are Dell T5500 workstations so no overclocking at all.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#57 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

HP ProLiant servers for me and xw Workstation.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#58 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Dirk Broer »

Alez wrote:HP ProLiant servers for me and xw Workstation.
I have some old Compaq ProLiants on the attic, a dual PII-400 and a dual XeonIII-500, but they're mainly waiting for an idiot/hardware enthousiast that fancies them. The Xeon does take the biscuit: a dual PSU (both need to be switched on) and a cooling system that dwarfs a fighter jet in the noise department. Along such lines I have a ProLiant 'Pizza Box' dual PIII-1000 too.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#59 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

We could use a boost on Citizens Science Grid. There's no DNA work but plenty of SubsetSum.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#60 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Silver »

I'm trying :bounce:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#61 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (MingW32)

jA0ECQMC1A7Q9OEAio610lcBKnqZDddm8tnXTesqT21e7OluCFuY4miXTR3oHrBz
XffqIB9cxcxbq/BYJPfCWhyRdlg5RUxkJf4FEso96ODsf7NcLEM3pyJoGmit1kuS
0YgTgzdX77s=
=HU40
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
PM me for the key.

If it's not Scottish, it's crap! :wink:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#62 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

Not a clue ? whats this all about ???
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#63 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

I do believe that boy is playing with a encrypted software package :lol:
jondi
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#64 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by jondi »

scole250 wrote: PM me for the key.
PM'd Image
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#65 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

I tried my "Orphan Annie" secret decoder ring and it didn't work :lol:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#66 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

Bryan wrote:I tried my "Orphan Annie" secret decoder ring and it didn't work :lol:
Set your decoder ring to "B-2". I can't believe I had to tell you that And for the last time, it's the 1940 decoder ring. The earlier ones won't work. :roll:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#67 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

Maybe ' Reds under the bed ' is the secret to cracking this , looks like an enigma challenge to me ........
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#68 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (MingW32)

jA0ECQMCxhDuYUzaHIe10lMB8Ct/CsmP128oGF6HdpeQOaWI7OsOdIUOAgP1tiKL
l+rdW9EWS3eu75ogDDnqPrLqHGK1Ki61J+ieFPAh8Y4YY+hbn+D/8EnX2M/a9w1i
9LTSGg==
=W7mT
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

(the key is in this thread somewhere)
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#69 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

Perennial winners OCUK - Overclockers UK are now firmly fixed in first place. We had them for a while but now they are deservedly on top, but we can still keep them honest. We need to start watching the rear view mirror. You know who are sneaking up and are now a little too close for comfort. Time to get our crunch on again.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#70 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

Which project? I've been floundering lately, doing a bunch of system changes and OS re-installs. Just recently got WCG HST running a most systems chasing that badge, but it's still difficult to get work. Found out Bryan was hoarding them. Anyway, everything is running now. What to crunch?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#71 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

Suggestions to posted in the secret squirrel lair :D
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#72 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

If any TSBT members are looking for some projects to crunch and would like to help with the Formula Boinc challenge, PM or email Alez or me. We'll grant you access to the team only area. :brave:
jondi
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#73 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by jondi »

2nd place looks secure now guys, take a well earned rest.
Mission accomplised, back to base :salute: :roll:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#74 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

jondi wrote:2nd place looks secure now guys, take a well earned rest.
Are you planning on taking the 2 teams above you on Enigma or are you wanting to stop?

4 days ago we were 19 points ahead of MK and we added 4 points today (Enigma). Instead of a 23 point lead we are only 15 points ahead. They don't seem to be discouraged in the slightest :?:

EDIT: TBH, I don't know if we lost points or they gained points. I haven't been watching the point spread since we got the 19 point lead. I guess we need to start paying attention to it :lol:
jondi
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#75 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by jondi »

Bryan wrote:
jondi wrote:2nd place looks secure now guys, take a well earned rest.
Are you planning on taking the 2 teams above you on Enigma or are you wanting to stop?

4 days ago we were 19 points ahead of MK and we added 4 points today (Enigma). Instead of a 23 point lead we are only 15 points ahead. They don't seem to be discouraged in the slightest :?:

EDIT: TBH, I don't know if we lost points or they gained points. I haven't been watching the point spread since we got the 19 point lead. I guess we need to start paying attention to it :lol:
You're currently 25 pts ahead of them :) and I know what you mean, It would be nice if there was some sort of past movement indicator. I resort to taking screenshots now and again.

We are planning on taking the teams above us but don't do us any favours, my previous post was meant as a joke :) You letting us win would be a hollow victory.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#76 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

Bryan is OCD/ADHD. He got excited about enigma but I'm trying to figure out how to steer him towards yoyo. I can't believe he doesn't have his Ecm Grandmaster badge yet. :lol:

BTW Jondi, you are permitted and encouraged to show off your badges here :D
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#77 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

jondi wrote:
You're currently 25 pts ahead of them :) and I know what you mean, It would be nice if there was some sort of past movement indicator. I resort to taking screenshots now and again.
If i could have subtracted better I would have been a much better engineer :lol: I've actually been trying to figure out where the points went. DOH!!!
We are planning on taking the teams above us but don't do us any favours, my previous post was meant as a joke :) You letting us win would be a hollow victory.
I took your message as a joke :lol: My question about stopping wasn't meant to be condescending in any way. We will probably back off, but it isn't a case of doing you any favours. If we really needed the points we'd cut you off at the knees in a heartbeat (assuming we could). As I posted on your forums, even if we had the ability, we have no intention of challenging you guys for the top spot. You might lose a few points between now and the end but we certainly aren't specifically targeting OcUK.

Speaking of Enigma, do you think OcUK would be up for a mini-challenge? That might be a good project since both teams would get points regardless of how we did against each other. That would make it a win-win challenge.

BTW, you really don't know how much I appreciate you giving us 10 points :lol: :lol: I was really trying to figure out what had happened.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#78 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

scole250 wrote:Bryan is OCD/ADHD. He got excited about enigma but I'm trying to figure out how to steer him towards yoyo. I can't believe he doesn't have his Ecm Grandmaster badge yet. :lol:
And there's your answer, some of the ECM WU take a full day (Muon even longer) and that is beyond my attention span ... ADHD :lol:
jondi
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#79 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by jondi »

Unless I'm able to create another customised sig at http://signature.statseb.fr/ with a different url I'm stuck with this trimmed down version I use on the OcUK forums.

I too got carried away on Enigma, I was only intending on getting our two points back we lost to the Danes then discovered the newer opt. app made recently,a good 20% increase from the last opt. app i'm finding on my haswell machines, not so much on the Ivybridge ones, I believe it's to do with haswell having AVX2 instructions.

As for a challenge, yeah sure, don't know how many of my team mates will get involved, a lot have seem to have gone MIA.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#80 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

jondi wrote:Unless I'm able to create another customised sig at http://signature.statseb.fr/ with a different url I'm stuck with this trimmed down version I use on the OcUK forums.
Like this...

Bok can link your WCG account to get those badges too. Can't recall what he needs or how it's done.
jondi
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#81 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by jondi »

Thanks :) though i'm feeling a little bit inadequate compared to yours and some of the other sigs around here :oops:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#82 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

jondi wrote: I too got carried away on Enigma, I was only intending on getting our two points back we lost to the Danes then discovered the newer opt. app made recently,a good 20% increase from the last opt. app i'm finding on my haswell machines, not so much on the Ivybridge ones, I believe it's to do with haswell having AVX2 instructions.

As for a challenge, yeah sure, don't know how many of my team mates will get involved, a lot have seem to have gone MIA.
If you guys don't want to do it, that is fine also. Just trying to add some excitement and fun to the end of the FB year. If the MIA folks don't want to join in then we can let it go.

I'm seeing the same thing on my AVX2 machines ... big boost. My Sandybridge I7s only got about 4% increase and like you I'm guessing it is because of the AVX 1. He has a Linux opti (Beta 1) but I can't get that one to work.

That E5-2696 machine w/ 36 threads .... is that really a 72 thread machine w/ HT turned off because of the lousy NUMA implementation?
jondi
Boinc Private
Boinc Private

#83 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by jondi »

Bryan wrote:
That E5-2696 machine w/ 36 threads .... is that really a 72 thread machine w/ HT turned off because of the lousy NUMA implementation?
Yeah, It usually runs only on linux but I couldn't get any work for linux (before I knew about the new app) so I switched to windows which assigns every WU to one CPU when HT is enabled, I've tried different affinity managers before and have even painstakingly manually assigned each work unit to each thread in windows affinity manager which does work but then goes back to one CPU after the next work unit. I don't have that problem with my 28 core 56 threaded machine in windows, same board & memory.

I see you have also done the same with your (Extra Spicy I think) broadwell machine :)
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#84 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

Jondi, we said at the start that we would keep you honest but you and yours are not our main target. You have pm function, just saying :D
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#85 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

jondi wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Yeah, It usually runs only on linux but I couldn't get any work for linux (before I knew about the new app) so I switched to windows which assigns every WU to one CPU when HT is enabled, I've tried different affinity managers before and have even painstakingly manually assigned each work unit to each thread in windows affinity manager which does work but then goes back to one CPU after the next work unit. I don't have that problem with my 28 core 56 threaded machine in windows, same board & memory.

I see you have also done the same with your (Extra Spicy I think) broadwell machine :)
Yes, I try to leave the 72 thread machine on Linux but there are times like this where it has to run Windows. It is the NUMA implementation where MS has chosen to only support 64 threads. What is funny is you can run Lattice with 64 threads (and some others) and everything works as it should. Then you get on Enigma and things totally fall apart (ECM I think is the same way).

I know on Win7 and above you can actually setup CPU "groups". If you do that you could run 2 versions of BOINC and have each one assigned to its own processor. That would probably solve the problem, but it adds a level of complexity that I don't have any intention of pursuing.

Last night I did some reading and something that I noticed for the 1st time is that Server R8 does NOT support CPU groups but it does support NUMA. So it might be worthwhile giving that a try. I figure since that is a server OS they may have done a better job of implementing NUMA control. You can download a "trial" version of any of the Server OSs from MS. I also found a place online where you can buy a license for $50 if it should happen to work. I talked to someone who is very familiar with R8 and R12 and he said that it installs and runs just like Win7 but of course it can be far far more flexible if you desire.

If you find a solution, please let me know and I'll promise to do the same!
pinhodecarlos
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#86 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by pinhodecarlos »

Where can I find that enigma opt ? I'll join you guys after I finish a NFS post processing task.
SETI.USA member
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#87 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

pinhodecarlos wrote:Where can I find that enigma opt ? I'll join you guys after I finish a NFS post processing task.
pinhodecarlos

#88 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by pinhodecarlos »

Thank you Bryan. Up and running on 4 cores.
SETI.USA member
pinhodecarlos

#89 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by pinhodecarlos »

Current enigma progress per application.

m4_vroln72_1
# of workunits: 91104000
#done: 40587097
% completed: 44,55%

m4_vroln72_3
# of workunits: 91104000
#done: 76782425
% completed: 84,27%

m4_vroln72_4
# of workunits: 45552000
#done: 41680405
% completed: 91,50%

Maybe it's time to schedule a challenge so Enigma finalize m4_vroln72_3 and m4_vroln72_4 asap.
SETI.USA member
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#90 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

pinhodecarlos wrote:
Maybe it's time to schedule a challenge so Enigma finalize m4_vroln72_3 and m4_vroln72_4 asap.
In a few more days we will be finished with Enigma until the end of the Forumula Boinc year on Dec 1. At our current rate we only need 3-4 days to reach our goals.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#91 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

It's official! TSBT finished 2nd in League 2 in the 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge. Contrats to everyone who help, which is everyone!
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#92 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Silver »

:wav:
Well done everyone, a massive result there! :thumbright:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#93 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

Unless anyone has a problem I will ' sanitise ' a version of this thread and release to the general population.
Well done us. The best result we have ever had.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#94 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by scole of TSBT »

go for it
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#95 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Bryan »

Congrats everyone!!! You guys did a fantastic job of retaking and then holding the #2 spot :occasion5:

It sets the bar very high for the Pirates next year!!
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#96 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

If the Pirates make it to league 3 next year and we follow standard pirate rules of there are no rules I predict a stunning debue win for the naughty nautical chappies next year :D
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#97 Re: 2016 Formula Boinc Challenge

Post by Alez »

It's official Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “archive”