UBUNTU

Just as the title says!
Matelot

#1 UBUNTU

Post by Matelot »

I'm running 2 machines using Ubuntu 64 and 32, how do you run them without the GUI, and would they crunch faster?
sneakysaurus

Post by sneakysaurus »

I am curious about this also but never got round to investigating it.

Like the convenience of the GUI so decided to stick with it.

Although if non-GUI ran faster I might convert.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Buried in this thread is an observation by JavaJoe that he got an extra 30% 8) using the command line.

I never got round to trying it myself & don't know how to go about it. Let's hear from the Gurus!
Willie the Megacruncher
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

HGOC >> On

I ran Ubuntu Server for a couple of weeks on a E4300 and found no appreciable difference to the performance of the Gnome GUI. The Boinc benchmarks were much higher, but I found that the crunching speed was pretty much identical.

If you run a GUI, open a command prompt and run top, without anything running you should only see 1 or 2% CPU usage. Execute the same from runlevel 3 and you should get pretty much the same.

For a lower spec machine the difference may be higher as the GUI will take memory and Disk I/O bandwidth that could otherwise be used for data. However for a decent box I doubt you will see much difference on idenitcal hardware.

Some people are just more happy running from the command line, so it's horses for courses in my book.

HGOC >> Off

HGO is a through back to my youth = Hipocritical Get-Out Clause. In other words, the above comes with a 60 second warranty. YMMV
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Did Joe ever post his "Short How To" :?: :?:
Temujin

#6 Re: UBUNTU

Post by Temujin »

I'm running 2 machines using Ubuntu 64 and 32, how do you run them without the GUI, and would they crunch faster?
In Linux this is usually controlled by the file /etc/inittab
In there you should see this sort of thing at the top
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

The lines beginning with a # are comments and its that id line that controls GUI or not GUI.
In the above its set to 5 (X11 or GUI)
if you change it to 3 (full multiuser mode) and reboot you'll lose the GUI and just have a text based login.

As others have said, you'll save very little CPU by doing this
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

UBUNTU seems to have stopped taking updates.

When you click on install, the cursor just stays a the circle, no admin password prompt.

Any Ideas??????
Snowdog
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by Snowdog »

I managed to do a couple of updates this morning on two machines and yesterday come to think of it. What version of Ubuntu are you using?
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

I'm using 8.04, I have 2 machines with the problem, a 64bit and a 32bit, I installed the os on another machine yesterday, and have no problem with that one as yet.
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Think I got it :-

sudo update-manager -d -c
or was it
sudo update-manager -c -d

whatever, 1 of them kicked it off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”