Help with switches

Just as the title says!
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

#1 Help with switches

Post by Reeltime »

Ok, my rather elderly, bu still useful second computer looks like its dead. I suspect it might just be the on/off switch, which has a 2 pin input to the mobo. Are these quite easy to obtain, and if this isn't the problem what else might be?

The kettle lead is fine, but there is no life at all in anything when I try to turn it on

Any ideas?
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Ok, the more I read about this the more it looks like a dead mobo :(

On the plus side, it looks like I will need to buy a new comp :)

Looking at specs, for a machine primarily for running boinc, how important is the Cache size?

And how does this look to people?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTEL-CORE-2-DUO- ... 18Q2el1247
sneakysaurus

Post by sneakysaurus »

It looks ok but I think the HP Server on link below is better. I am thinking about getting myself later this month. Best of all is the 3 year on site warranty.

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productprese ... S%3D300149
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Ok, teach me about servers.......

Do you basically set them up as you would a normal computer, and then use them as a hub for all other comps in house?
Andrew
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by Andrew »

I'm guessing that it's more than just the switch, but if you ever want to be sure, just take off the plastic holder that connects the switch to the motherboard and use a screwdriver to make the circuit, that should start the PC if it is just the switch.

Servers are different to desktops in as much as they have a different purpose. But there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't run a server on a normal home PC, or use a server machine as your main box.

Differences are that servers would usually have an onboard not too powerful video chip, , lots of RAM, lots of processors etc.

For BOINC a well set up server could be a good thing because of it's number crunching abilities rather than a machine aimed at the home market where the money gets spent on fancy cases, graphics, sound chips and such like.

I'm rubbish at explaining things, but it makes sense to me :P
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”