Split CPIDs and how to fix them.

Just as the title says!
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#1 Split CPIDs and how to fix them.

Post by Megacruncher »

utopia-i (to pick a sufferer at random) is listed 4 times in Temujin's stats and 4 times in BoincStats. This is untidy and means that his total credit is for the most prolific ID 14 million when it should really be 15 million.

If you examine his 4 IDs then you will see that each of them crunch a different set of projects. Usually Boinc is quite good at sorting this sort of thing out and assigns each user a Cross Project IDentifier. Problems can arise if you have more than one computer and run totally different sets of projects on each. As well as across computers the problem can arise over time. If someone crunching project A & project B comes back and reinstalls Boinc after a rest and runs projects C & D then without some overlap Boinc won't necessarily recognise them.

Overlap is the secret to both prevention and cure.

In utopia-i's case he should be cured if he simultaneously runs Primaboinca, WCG, SETI & Moo!Wrapper. That's one project picked at random from each ID.
Willie the Megacruncher
utopia-i
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#2 Re: Split CPIDs and how to fix them.

Post by utopia-i »

Megacruncher wrote:utopia-i (to pick a sufferer at random) is listed 4 times in Temujin's stats and 4 times in BoincStats. This is untidy and means that his total credit is for the most prolific ID 14 million when it should really be 15 million.

If you examine his 4 IDs then you will see that each of them crunch a different set of projects. Usually Boinc is quite good at sorting this sort of thing out and assigns each user a Cross Project IDentifier. Problems can arise if you have more than one computer and run totally different sets of projects on each. As well as across computers the problem can arise over time. If someone crunching project A & project B comes back and reinstalls Boinc after a rest and runs projects C & D then without some overlap Boinc won't necessarily recognise them.

Overlap is the secret to both prevention and cure.

In utopia-i's case he should be cured if he simultaneously runs Primaboinca, WCG, SETI & Moo!Wrapper. That's one project picked at random from each ID.
Well I'll give this a go!

So just to be clear, on my 'main' computer already running Subset, well waiting for more units, I go to

BOINC Manager (v7.0.65)Tools -> Add project or account manger ..

and add the 4 projects you mention, let at least one of each WU complete for each of the 4 projects and sent and get credit

Then detach and back to Subset, hopefully it will be up!
... is that apple pie I smell

MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Actually, you don't need to do any work. Add them and set them to 'Do No Work' or 'Suspended' if that's what you want.

The key is that you will have no isolated communication pockets (i.e. subsets) that can have a change (for whatever reason) and not propagate that change out to the wider world.
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Really? It's that simple? Add all your projects and set them to no work?

Bloody hell. I almost wish I had a split CPID so I could test this.
Please someone confirm if this works. :)

If it does then I'd be inclined to proactively contact the several dozen members so afflicted so they can sort themselves out.
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re:

Post by Alez »

MacDitch wrote:Actually, you don't need to do any work. Add them and set them to 'Do No Work' or 'Suspended' if that's what you want.

The key is that you will have no isolated communication pockets (i.e. subsets) that can have a change (for whatever reason) and not propagate that change out to the wider world.
You don't need to do any work but you will have to do a project update to communicate with the projects. The secret as said is to have 1 computer with all the projects you crunch on it to give everything else an anchor.This is critical. Also it helps if you DON'T detach from a project. If you are not crunching it simply set to no new work or suspend the project.
Most important of all is to use exactly the same e mail address and password on ever project as that is the real identifier, not your user name or the CPID, both of which change at times. In fact you can use different user names ( though not recommended ) and Boincstats will use the most common one.
Before everything can line up you need to ensure and edit if necessary the email address and password registered at split projects.
Using Bam account manager helps a lot as well as it communicates with the projects at regular intervals.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: Split CPIDs and how to fix them.

Post by Alez »

For Cyclone Ranger

the 4 projects that are split are Dnet ( dead ), QMC, ABC and predictor ( probabily dead ).

Do you use Bamstats ?
your ABC account is here http://abcathome.com/show_user.php?userid=13861
log in and check your e mail address and password and then connect it to your computer.
your QMC account is here http://qmcathome.org/show_user.php?userid=49569
log in and check your e mail address and password and then connect it to your computer

once they are connected , update them and then suspend or what ever.

Dnet and predictor are a lot more difficult unless you use Bam manager
select Boinc stats from the left hand menu
select sync retired projects.

let me know how this goes and we can take it from there
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#7 Re: Split CPIDs and how to fix them.

Post by CycloneRanger »

Alez wrote:For Cyclone Ranger

the 4 projects that are split are Dnet ( dead ), QMC, ABC and predictor ( probabily dead ).

Do you use Bamstats ?
your ABC account is here http://abcathome.com/show_user.php?userid=13861
log in and check your e mail address and password and then connect it to your computer.
your QMC account is here http://qmcathome.org/show_user.php?userid=49569
log in and check your e mail address and password and then connect it to your computer

once they are connected , update them and then suspend or what ever.

Dnet and predictor are a lot more difficult unless you use Bam manager
select Boinc stats from the left hand menu
select sync retired projects.

let me know how this goes and we can take it from there
ABC has long since been updated and brought into BOINC Manager. QMC is no longer listed by BOINC, even though the project still exists online. I updated my existing account on their website and the project appeared on Manager as if by magic. It subsequently disappeared. DNETC is on my BAM retired list, and I may or may not have successfully synced it, though as yet I've seen no sign. Predictor is totally missing in action, and appears to be a lost cause.

My BAM stats appear to be correct. My BOINCSTATS (Temujin) is split, with ABC and QMC still separated. If I search in BAM, I find two CPIDs for "CycloneRanger", with the stray account containing ABC, POEM, QMC, and Spinhenge.

I confess to being pretty much lost at this point. :?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: Split CPIDs and how to fix them.

Post by Alez »

When I search for you I get 3 id's on temujin not 2. Poem and spinhenge have lined up. If the Boincstats are correct then everything should line up eventually. You are listed as a new member of the team from 10/10 so Boincstats is lining up. It should all have lined up within a few days. How long has this been going on ?
select all the projects on your manager and do a project update should help speed it all up.
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#9 Re: Split CPIDs and how to fix them.

Post by CycloneRanger »

It's been several days; for the first 2-3 days, things were changing. For the past 2-3, no changes. Predictor is alone in the third ID, is it not? I can't touch that. The second holds ABC and QMC, which *should* sync up, I guess. I have updated everything I can, so I guess I just wait and hope. Thanks! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”