Graphics Upgrade

Just as the title says!
darkmast2

#1 Graphics Upgrade

Post by darkmast2 »

Well my brand spanking new overclocked 7950 arrived today, installed it fine yet the AMD drivers just do not want to install.

Tried the 13.1 and the 13.2 beta drivers but although the installer says it installed fine, going into the folders there are no files there :/Can't get the Catalyst Control Centre at all and as such left with a black border all round my screen via hdmi.

To make matters worse I've had to boot into safe mode to update my lan driver as for some reason that started giving a blue screen.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Post by Alez »

I know you are still having problems with the new gpu but thought I would post in here instead of in the team goals forum.

Check You're advanced log and make sure Boinc has found a usable GPU.
If it say no usable GPU found then that is the problem and Boinc is not recognising the card.

Presuming Boinc see the card ie reports found ATI 7950 in slot 0 or similar then boinc knows you have a GPU card.

I presume you have the previous card as well as you're new one and more than 1 pmcie slot. If so install your old card back into the system with you're new one.

once you've done that create the following....
go to the BOINC data folder (normally: C:\Program Data\BOINC) and look for file "cc_config.xml". If it doesn't exist, create it but the contents should have the following:

Code:

<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

copy and paste the code into notepad and save as cc_config.xml
copy all 5 lines exactly as above as the syntax is important.

restart boinc and check the advanced log. Close to the start of the log Boinc should now report 2 gpu's your 7950 and the old one. ( don't know what it was )
Should say (found something like) ATI 7950 in slot 0 For me this would be nVidea etc. not sure what boinc calls ATi but thats not important. Basically Boinc should see 2 cards.

Now hopefully you will get work for your cards. you know your old card worked so it should still work now . If the old card now works but still no new work for the new card then at least we have made a start on finding the problem.

When you have installed the 2 cards you may have to swap the HDMI or vga cable between one and the other card to get windows to see both cards at first.
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

Here's my log window when starting up

http://cl.ly/image/0v0T3a3e390M

Currently Moo and Seti are set to get no new tasks. (Due to not wanting to run Seti at the moment and Moo giving nothing but computation errors since installing the new card) The other 3 are set at resource share 333, which I assumed would be 1/3 each.

Not sure my current PSU would handle both a 7950 and a 6950 juiced up at the same time. The 7950 takes an 8 pin and 6pin connector and the 6950 takes 2 6 pin connectiors.

Could the line "App version needs OpenCL but GPU doesn't support it" be the problem ?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Post by Alez »

Not sure on the power requirements of your cards but assuming similar to mine nVidea GTX660TI a 750 w supply would handle quite easily but you would probabily have to but extra molex to 6 pin connectors unless you already have them.

Not that that matters as you have found the problem for your card. You're card will definitely support open CL and since Boinc is reporting it does not it is a driver problem that is causing the issues.
I would suspect that the driver has not installed properly over the previous version. Will do a quick search and see if there is a recommended driver for your card but as I said before all my cards are nVidea so ATI drivers are a mystery to me.
Janos or Mega have ATI cards and could recommend which drivers they run.
Will get back to you if I find something.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Post by Alez »

well i'm glad i have nVidea cards, seem like so much less hassle. will have a further check in the morning but this seems to be the recomendation so far

'I had problems on my Win7-64b systems. The only install that worked perfectly for me was as follows:

Uninstall the AMD drivers, all of them using stock uninstall method. You can use driver sweeper if you want, but I found it makes no difference.
Reboot.
Install Catalyst 12.4 .
Reboot.
Install Bal3Wolf moded drivers without removing 12.4.

All problems fixed... works great. '

Bal3Wolf drivers are here
http://bal3wolf.centelia.net/

apparently there is a known problem with moo and you're new card.

http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id= ... =5&start=0

Seems most places I have checked recommend 12.4 as the drivers to run.

I gave up on the resource share numbers and work on a 1 - 10 scale.
simply set everything to 1 and then increase your most valued or project you want to work on accordingly. why Boinc choose 100 as default is beyond me, 1 works just fine thank you.
will see what tomorrow turns up
Janos (retired)
Still a Newbie

Post by Janos (retired) »

I would be inclined to nuke Windows and do a fresh install.
"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

I wish it were that simple - this maching is also my main gaming machine therefore going back that far in driver version would be a huge step back :(
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Post by Alez »

Try this then....

Opencl works in windows XP as long as your graphics card is an hd4000 and higher. If upon installation of the driver, opencl is not working go to the ATI directory (11.12 and lower) or the AMD directory (12.1 and above), go to the support subdirectory, then the driver version you're trying to install subdirectory, then the packages subdirectory, then the apps subdirectory, then the opencl subdirectory and double click on the (opencl.msi). This will rerun the opencl installer, choose the repair option and it should fix the installation.
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

I don't know if this is progress but I installed the new 13.2 Beta 7 drivers and ran BOINC again with the following output.

http://cl.ly/image/122Q2d3k271o

It now seems to detect the OpenCL driver - it proceeded to download about 30 odd Collatz units which all promptly came up straight away with computation error :(

Edit: Changed some settings - http://cl.ly/image/2L413t1X3B0k
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Post by Alez »

Well you now appear to have OpenCL so you should be able to get work. Collatz erroring out is due to an error with collatz and the latest AMD drivers I believe .
See here for details http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/fo ... php?id=973 and specific to you're card here
http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/fo ... php?id=935

Hopefully you will get some work from DistRTgen now or attach to Milkyway and see if everything is working ok.

To me the edited settings just make more sense and still mean exactly the same, but then I am a bear of little brain.

and some more info on cleaning up after driver install and where orphaned files etc get left...http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/fo ... php?id=977
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

Still no luck getting gpu units.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

darkmast2 wrote:I wish it were that simple - this maching is also my main gaming machine therefore going back that far in driver version would be a huge step back :(
You could always temporarily disconnect your current boot drive, swap in a formatted HD and reinstall just the OS the drivers & Boinc. At least you should be able to establish that your rig has the potential to work.
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Post by Alez »

You're old gpu should work with the new drivers etc and you know it worked for GPU work before so swap the new one out for the old one, doing nothing else and see if that gives work or not. Did you try and attach to milkyway and get some work from them as I think they work with just about everything.
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

Connected to Milkyway fine and downloaded work units.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Post by Alez »

Good, that means all the stuff is now working. Just got to figure up distRTgen now....... Does it still report no units available if you do an update ?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Post by Alez »

also seems you're not the only one having issues
http://www.freerainbowtables.com/phpBB3 ... 2db6edc090
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

darkmast2 wrote:Connected to Milkyway fine and downloaded work units.

Excellent! :D

Err...Have you done Milkyway before? It's just that you aren't on any of the team lists for this project. Of course you can choose to be with some other team if you want. But to be elsewhere by accident would not be so good. :shock:
Willie the Megacruncher
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

Oops forgot to do that part - have joined now.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Good!

Except...

I've had a look at your stats and it all seems a bit sloooow.
Each MW WU you do takes about 130s and yields 320 credits which means you should be getting about 200K each day for the project. Whereas you got 3.6K on tuesday and less than 700 yesterday. :(

What's up?

Are you getting work okay and what sort of power scheme do you have your PC on?
Willie the Megacruncher
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

The problem at the moment is I can't leave my pc on 24/7 as it's in my room so it's off at night and generally when I'm at work, not ideal I know.

My work machine is generally on all through the night but it's not exactly a power beast.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Post by Alez »

Did you finally find what the problem was with the card ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”