Number of Cuda processes running per computer?

Just as the title says!
johnn

#1 Number of Cuda processes running per computer?

Post by johnn »

How does Boinc determine the number of Cuda processes that run?
Is it per version of Boinc?
Is it per # of cpu's?
Is it per version of Nvidia gpu?
Is it per Boinc user preference settings?
Is it per Boinc project?

Thanks again,
Johnn
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I believe the technical answer is "Yes"

Seriously, I think it depends on the circumstances, but can depend on all of the above.

Some Boinc versions are better than others at CPU/GPU scheduling, some have out-and-out bugs.

It is possible to force Boinc to think it has more than the number of CPU cores using the ncpus flag in the cc_config.xml file. Depending on project that may, or may not fool Boinc into downloading more WU's.

I think however that the number of active GPU WU's running at any time will still be limited by the specific number of Nvidia cards.

Is there a specific profile you are trying to achieve? Maybe running Aqua and GPUgrid simultaneously, or a mixture of Seti CPU/GPU?

Let us know and I'm sure someone round here will tried it, or at least be able to give some pointers. :wink:
johnn

Post by johnn »

Thks for the input and the humor ha ha. Seriously though, the only reason I asked the questions posted is to run as many cuda processes
as possible on my cpu's.
Still do not know how to get more than 1 cuda process per computer running.
Thanks again,
Johnn
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

The CUDA units run on the graphics processor. If you have more than one graphics card are you seeing only one running? If this is the case which cards are you running?
johnn

Post by johnn »

Only have one graphics card per computer.
Only seeing one cuda process per computer.
Only project running 1 cuda process is SETI from 6.6.31 and 6.6.36.

Is this as good as it gets?
Johnn
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Is this as good as it gets?
At any single point in time, yes. But of course you can connect to more than one cuda project and boinc swill swap between them as normal.

At present I'm not aware of any project that allows you to crunch two or more cuda work units simultaneously on a single card. You could attempt to run two cards, but I don't know if boinc is clever enough to swap between projects and cards asynchronously.

This however is not the case with Milkyway where you can run more than one work unit on a single ATI graphics card (not cuda) simultaneously.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”