S812 Android TV box

For all your Raspberry Pi's, BeagleBoard's, Parallella's, ORDROID'S, TV boxes et al.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 S812 Android TV box

Post by scole of TSBT »

Best I can tell, the S812 android TV boxes spec about the same as the S802 systems. I just scored a used one for $1.02 w/free shipping. I'm not very confident the seller is legit or will ship it but for $1.02 I took a chance. I figure since I paid through Amazon I'm protected to some degree.

http://amzn.com/B01E470V26
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#2 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by Silver »

Worth a punt at that price, fingers crossed.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by Dirk Broer »

Main difference between the AmLogic S812 as compared to the S802 is the H.265 Video decoding capability of the S812 -the S802 has none.
shadowoflight

#4 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by shadowoflight »

I have an existing S812 based tv box.

Boinc android doesn't want to work however, it seems like it want me to plug in power.

Is there a way to bypass this? Or are you guys using linux on these tv boxes?

If that's the case, any guides to do the installation?
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#5 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by scole of TSBT »

What version android? If it's 4.2 or 4.4, Native Boinc will run on it. If it's 5 or higher the regular Boinc from U.C. Berkeley should install and run, though that version won't allow you to connect to it using another manager like Boinc Tasks. In order to run linux, you'll need to find a linux ROM to flash it with. There are more projects/apps for android/ARM than linux/ARM also.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by Alez »

Which version of Android is the box running ?
If android 4 or below use nativeBoinc ( available in play store , just search for it ) instead of Boinc. If Android 5 and above then the official boinc sometimes has issues and you have to use an older version. There are also other threads that act as help guides in this forum
You do need them plugged in obviously, I presume you mean that it is not reading the battery status ( because there is not a battery to read ) and hence will not start ?
Under preferences
Ensure you have autostart ticked
Ensure you select all power sources under power

Have a look under the Operating system forum, Android subforum and BOINC software Aplications , especially this thread

Welcome to the forum, If this doesn't help then post up and we will see what we can do.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
shadowoflight

#7 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by shadowoflight »

ah, I'm a dummy, not sure why I didn't see those options in preferences.

There seems to be a stand alone device option now tho, my tv box is working now!
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by Alez »

Glad your up and running :dance:
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#9 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by scole of TSBT »

I was looking on ebay for cheap android TV boxes. The M8S boxes with the amlogic S812 CPU (almost identical to the S802) and running android 4.4 (which will run Native Boinc) appear to be the best value right now. It has 2G RAM and a quad core 2Ghz CPU.

Seller refurbished units for £23.99 Buy it now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323049975373
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#10 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by scole of TSBT »

I've waffled about whether to add any more android tv boxes to the fleet but pulled the trigger and ordered a lot of 5x S812 boxes running android 4.4 for $150 (US) total/free shipping. That's 20 more 2.0Ghz cores that will likely be put on WCG. That's 20 days WCG work per day toward the next diamond badge.

If you are in the US, here's the listing in case you might be interested in cheap to buy and cheap to run android crunchers....http://www.ebay.com/itm/263536550236 There may be a similar listing on the UK ebay site.

And to keep them cool, I use a 1.5" hole saw like this Image to cut a hole in the top, then glue a 40mm USB fan like this Image over the hole and plug the fan into the android tv box.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#11 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by scole of TSBT »

I finally received everything and have one running. I forget to get crazy glue or epoxy today to fasten the fan to the unit so in true Wayne County fashion I used duct tape temporarily. The fan is smooth.
m8s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#12 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by Dirk Broer »

Neat chip, AmLogic S812...
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#13 Re: S812 Android TV box

Post by scole of TSBT »

I've got 4 out of 5 up and running. 11 quad core androids now parked on WCG. One wouldn't attach to my Google account or install NativeBoinc. I'm looking for a ROM to reload on it but can't find one for this model. Freaktab shows PCBs and lists ROMs for them. Can't find a pic of my PCB with an available ROM.
M8S_S812_PCB.jpg
This is the model info. It's a M8S knock off...
model number:
hx812

Android version:

Build number:
hx812-userdebug 4.4.2 KOT49H 20170407 test-keys

Kernel version:
ren@gxt #12
Tue April 18 15:50:23 CST 2017
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Single-board Computers”